This fantastically easy chocolate fudge cake is rich, moist, and treacly with a glossy ganache finish.
For the cake
- 200g/7oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g/7oz butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 100ml/3½fl oz water
- 125g/4½oz self-raising flour
- 125g/4½oz plain flour
- 25g/1oz cocoa powder
- 200g/7oz light muscovado sugar
- 200g/7oz golden caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 75ml/2½fl oz crème fraîche
For the chocolate fudge icing
- 50g/1¾oz dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, softened
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk, to loosen
For the chocolate ganache
- 150ml/5¼oz double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 150g/5¼oz dark chocolate, plus extra chocolate shavings, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170C/335F/Gas 3. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, and water together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sift the flours and cocoa powder into a bowl and mix in the muscovado and caster sugar.
- Beat the eggs and crème fraîche together in a separate bowl, then beat in the chocolate mixture. Fold in the flour mixture until smooth.
- Divide the cake batter between the tins and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and set them aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the chocolate fudge icing, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the surface of the water.)
- Beat the butter in a bowl until soft, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Add the vanilla extract and fold in the melted chocolate until smooth (add a few drops of milk if the mixture is a little stiff).
- For the chocolate ganache, heat the cream, vanilla extract, butter, and chocolate in a heavy-based pan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth and thickened.
- To assemble the cake, run a round-bladed around the inside of the cake tins to loosen the cake. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins.
- Spread the fudge buttercream over the top of one of the chocolate cakes, then carefully top with the other cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and spoon the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle over the edge. Garnish with chocolate shavings and serve in slices.